Bunduq Company Limited was established in December 1970 to develop the offshore El Bunduq oil field which is located on the border of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi and State of Qatar, some 200km west of Abu Dhabi city and 100km east of Doha.
The El Bunduq oil field commenced commercial oil production in 1975 with the natural depletion scheme and subsequently water injection was implemented from 1983 to maintain the reservoir pressure.
Since 2006, the associated sour gas has been injected for environmental protection and enhanced oil recovery. A Japanese consortium, United Petroleum Development Company Limited, is a dominant shareholder with the 97% participating interest in El Bunduq Oil Development Project and the remaining 3% rests with BP.
The success of the El Bunduq Oil Development Project is recognized as a result of fruitful collaboration between the Emirate of Abu Dhabi and the State of Qatar under the wise leadership of Their Highness, Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of United Arab Emirates and the Ruler of Abu Dhabi, and Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani, The Emir of Qatar.